The Akron Bar Association, through education, advocacy, and community service, empowers its members to reflect the highest professional standards, enabling them to earn the community’s utmost respect so our legal system will be recognized as fair, accessible and just.
The Akron Bar Association will be recognized as the voice of the legal community to promote the highest respect for the law and justice system, thereby creating a thriving democracy.
Responsibilities of Members of the Board of Trustees:
- Fiscal management and oversight, including budget development
- Select, supervise, evaluate, and determine the compensation of the Executive Director
- Strategic planning and implementation/oversight/evaluation of new and existing programs
- Promotion of the organization to members, non-member attorneys, and members of the non-legal community
- Fundraising, including as related to the board member’s employer’s contributions with an understanding that those working for the judiciary are not permitted to be involved in fundraising activities because of judicial ethical considerations.
- Implementation of personnel and other Bar policies and procedures
Expectations of Board Members:
- Thorough understanding of Association’s mission and vision statements, Code of Regulations, and existing/revised Strategic Plans
- Personal attendance and participation in all regular and special Board meetings
- Serve as an ex officio Board liaison of certain sections and committees, as designated by the Board president
- Consistent attendance at Board, Bar Association, and Bar Foundation-sponsored events
- Adhere to confidentiality policies and procedures
- Financial contribution, as appropriate, from either the Board member or the Board member’s employer
- Service to or participation in one or more of the following designated areas of Board concern: Human Resources, Planning, Finance, Development, Community Relations, or Operations